Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Gender equality- still a long way to go.

Last week I received a call, asking for a coaching session.

She was seeking coaching about reducing friction in relationship when woman earns more than her partner.

She narrated me her situation:

'I am a woman who makes more than my husband and our situation is growing less unique day by day.

It’s good to talk about changing social norms when you’re dealing with mere statistics while it is difficult to handle it in a real relationship.

Because of the disparity in what my husband and I earn, I am more often faced with adjusting my goals or finding a way to negotiate our feelings. I have no problem to make adjustment but in-spite of my efforts to do adjustment I am not in position to minimize frustration, hurt feelings and hurt pride of my husband.

 

Pl. help me on this subject.'


I guess, this is not just once example, many such cases might be there and people are still not frank enough to discuss it out.

In our society, although we may argue and discus about gender equality but I guess we have long way to go.

In a particular case, a woman earning more because her partner is unable to work due to unemployment or illness has different implications for relationship satisfaction than her having a better-paying job than his partner.

On the other hand when the woman being unable to work does not, on average, affect the man’s relationship equation.

Even when both partners are employed, different surveys show both men and women are less satisfied when she earned more.

Both men and women were generally more satisfied with their roles and relationship when the woman became the homemaker.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment