Thursday, April 2, 2020

Act as an expert but have the mindset of apprentice.


I have been working in the machine tool industry for over 37 years.

The years have flown by swiftly.

I am fortunate enough to have received multiple opportunities to hone my technical skills and interpersonal skills from time to time.

There’s a lot related to my field that I know.  

But there’s still a lot more to learn, what I know is not enough.

There are a lot of new developments happening every day about which I am not yet updated with.

There are quite a few skills that I need to hone.

There are things, I can become more efficient in.

There came certain moments when I did say “That’s nice to know.”

Yes, it feels like an ongoing apprenticeship.

The day I get a feeling, I know all that I need to learn is the day I will become complacent and my career would get in to reverse gear.

It is true for every profession.

Even the doctors who would not think, what they learned in the university will keep them going in their careers.

I wish my mechanic who used to fix my Maruti car 20 years ago would fix my BMW in the same way.

Whatever you’re doing, whatever profession you are, consider it as an ongoing apprenticeship.

Don’t stop learning.

Be a learner and remain a learner always.

No doubt, you may act as an expert, but have the mindset of an apprentice.

No comments:

Post a Comment