Saturday, October 17, 2020

Coach- it's not something I chose to become..

During my Coaching sessions, my coachee invariably want to know how I entered in to a coaching field!

My reply is always – ‘I’ve been helping people and I like helping people may be that could be one reason.’

 

At school I used to helped friends with their studies.  When I went to college, I used to help my batch-mates with their assignments. Occasionally I used to help my Professors in documentation of their PG thesis. My helping nature continued at work too, I helped my colleagues and the people I worked with. 

Sometimes also the boss, to prepare for his meetings. 

 

And then outside workplace, there were the friends, with whom we exchanged jackets, bikes, shoes and sometime re-charge mobiles too. 

 

As I have switched from one job to the next, the number of people I came in contact with and eventually helping them grew, at reasonably faster rate… you can see how this was going.  

May be, people thought I was the go-to person when something needed to resolve amicably.

 

Before actually I understood and knew what goal planning is, I was actually helping people to work out their personal and professional hassles. Slowly, I got pulled to this helping attitude and knowingly or unknowingly I went deeper into it.

 

As I grow older, I have developed a more structured style, devised my own tool and techniques to become more effective in the way I helped people. 

Everything, I was and I am, doing without any expectations. Still, I started receiving ‘Thank You cards’, ‘Thank You Messages’, ‘Virtual flowers’ etc., on my mobile phone. This kind of experience was quite new for me but making me feel happy from within.

 

It was amazing feeling, witnessing transformations of low self-esteem into self-worth. These things has given a real boost to my confidence and I started doing things with lot more confidence.

 

 

One day I happened to meet ‘business consultants’ in our company.  3 well-dressed people with ‘Power-point’ presentation with color print outs. I was pretty impressed.

One after another, they were presenting their presentation and were explaining what they are doing and what is their core field of work.

I listened them patiently. I tried to understand every bit of word they were talking. These ‘business consultants’ were doing what I’d been doing all these years.  And they were consulted by many leading organizations and getting paid very well to do it. 

Much before I qualified as a Life coach and Executive coach, I was unknowingly practicing it.

I discovered during my certification, some of the approach or tools I was practicing were very similar to the tools taught in Life coaching and Executive coaching.

May be I already had a Life Coach or Executive coach in me, within. It’s not something I chose to become. It’s something I am already.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment