Saturday, October 31, 2020

Ethical Dilemma

 As a coach, occasionally I find myself facing ethical dilemmas.


Let me give you one example of dilemma, recently faced.

My coachee is working for a start-up company for last 3 years. Due to pandemic situation, company has decided to impose 30% pay cuts since April 2020. My client finds it is hard to meet his monthly expenses, along with new born baby and newly owned house loan installment.

My coachee confesses during one of our sessions that he has another job outside his company while WFH and pay cut from an existing company.

My coachee has a dilemma “Do I share this information with my company?”

I do not have an exact answer -what is the right course of action, however when clients confront ethical dilemmas the first step is to make them articulate the problem. Often, these dilemmas are the result of confusion, and lack of clarity.

I ask my clients to review potential risks of doing something in terms of career, financial, reputational, safety etc. Often clients have looked at the short term implications.

Looking at long term picture their perspective can begin to shift, they can often solve the ethical issue by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment